Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tail over Tea Kettle

At this point we,re wondering if we,ll ever find anything that can accommodate our menagerie. A menagerie of cranky bored kids, tired of being dragged from marina to marina and boat to boat. I know it hasn't been long in the search but how can there be such a lack of three cabin sailboats? Until today. Mark shows me a listing for a trimaran. A trimaran? That wasn't even on my radar. If I know next to nothing about monohulls and catamarans I know even less about trimarans. So we started the research. A classic norman cross design you say? Reviews are favourable, says I. Sail performance and speed? excellent. Interior space? suitable. Stability? Decent. Risk of sinking? Impossibility. Capsizing?... Yes what about capsizing. I believe the old adage of mono vs. multihulls is "would you rather be right side up on the bottom of the ocean or upside down on the top?" Umm hello! Neither please. I don't want to be anywhere near either of those scenarios.
Appearanlty the risk of capsizing on a trimaran is more prevalent than say a monohull or catamaran. But not flipping over to the side like normal boats, instead with enough speed and the wrong wave a trimaran can flip over back to front. Okay! Hold the phone! Stop right there. I think that has to be the scariest thing I have ever heard. Visions of this enormousness boat somersaulting through the stormy Pacific Ocean with me and my family on board nearly sent me into appoplexy.
Of course mark quickly tries to explain to me that this isn't a racing trimaran and wouldn't get speeds high enough for that and it's just common sense, don't sail in bad weather. Common sense? I believe it's pretty evident that common sense checked out a while ago and isn't coming back. But in the end. With alot of reading and a lot of kind bloggers who shared their experience and expertise talked me down enough that I've kind of got excited about seeing this trimaran tomorrow. Who knows maybe this is our boat and maybe we,ll end up with a multihull after all.

2 comments:

  1. Ahoy! I am the gentleman who brought Aukai, Moon Me, Smashed Again, Sugaree Too and many other names, up to Port Townsend from Mexico in 2009. If you would like a more exact history on the SweetHaven, please contact me and I will oblige you. I would be aware the boat may be on a DEA/CBP watchlist due to the last owner's reckless history. He may have had plans to smuggle drugs from Canada. Norm Cross was a friend of mine. I built a 44' version of this boat, Sugaree, in the late 70's in Seattle.
    Fair Winds! John Matthiesen

    ReplyDelete
  2. In part due to the higher U.K. voltage than the US which will make the electric tea kettle boil water at light speed. best tea kettle

    ReplyDelete