Thursday, October 3, 2013

Fortune

It was a fortunate day today. By noon the sun came out and was warm, even could take my coat off, which is saying something considering I wore my winter coat all summer here.
We got a bit of a later start today then we would have liked, hard not to sleep in when you don't have three monkeys pouncing on you at 6:30 every morning. When we finally got down to the boat after a quick stop at Home Depot for some more supplies, I got back to cleaning and scrubbing. I think all the mold is gone now, I don't know for how long, I assume mold and mildew will be an ongoing battle to be waged, but such is life on a boat I guess.
After a few more hours of cleaning I stood back to survey my lovely clean boat, enjoy the fruits of my labour but honestly if a stranger walked into Sweets right now, they'd say, "oh, well she'll look better after a good cleaning."
There is still so much dirt and staining and grim caught in the million corners that even though I've sent 2 days cleaning and it smells good now, it still looks dirty.
That realization was very deflating, a lot of work and water logged hands, but really the boat won't look clean and fresh until it has been repainted.
I've been trying to get the interior up to the point where we need to remove shoes to go in but I think that state is a long way off.

Seeing that we had sunshine today Mark got to work on the outside, resealing hatches and windows. Once he'd peeled the first one off and started scraping the mountain of old, mildewed, caulking from around the opening all that lovely mess came floating down into my freshly cleaned cabin. So I gave up inside and went topside to help make more mess.

Sandwiches on the fly.


Little missy is getting to be quit comfy, she thinks she owns the marina now.


Re sealed and silicone on the hatches.


Beautiful sunny day, wish we could have been out sailing.


Lazy seals snoozing all day, except once two of them who had been lying face to face started having an altercation, howling at each other in their funny way and flippers flapping at each other until one gave up and turned around to face the other way before they both flopped back down to sleep again.

Swarms of birds fly in the marina in the afternoons, the liveaboards here all proceed to come out from their boats and walk up and down the docks clapping to chase them away. Doesn't seem very effective though.

Starboard window removed, waiting for epoxy to dry before sealing it all back up again.


Fiberglassing inside the port ama.


Mark installed a new solar powered vent, tomorrow another one will be put in on the other side to create a intake and output of air flow through the cabin.

Mark got this fortune in his fortune cookie today.
Let's hope so.



No comments:

Post a Comment