Monday, June 2, 2014

V Berth Mattress DIY.

When you are cheap and in a hurry, necessity becomes the mother of invention and here is what we came up with.
 It's simple really. We needed a mattress for the v berth for Mark and I to sleep on and since we aren't so young anymore, our backs require a bit of pampering than just a regular foam mattress can provide. There is no where on the island that we found who could even make a custom v berth mattress and even if there was, it certainly wouldn't be in our budget right now.

So we ordered an 8 inch, full sized memory foam mattress from Walmart. 


I removed the outer cover.


Drew on the shape of the v berth space with a sharpie.

And had my husband cut the foam with an electric carving knife.

The carving knife trick works well with normal foam, but after having used the cheap $10 knife to cut out all out salon cushions and the kids mattresses, when it came time to cut our mattress it was struggling, also memory foam is much harder to cut.

The inside of the memory foam mattress. Two layers of regular foam, the blue-ish coloured foam is the actual memory foam.

But all in all, a simple, inexpensive project, that once I sewed the cover to fit it's new shape, works perfectly. Is it ideal? Probably not, but it's serviceable... Which is a phrase I would use to describe pretty much everything on our boat.

5 comments:

  1. What a great blog, thank you for letting me comment on it.
    spa sensations memory foam mattress

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    best memory foam mattress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    memory foam mattress reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
    top rated mattress

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, great US Military force. Also, in his post you have given a chance to listen about US Military. I really appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing it.
    best memory foam mattress

    ReplyDelete