Thursday, March 20, 2014

Delving into the Depths of Plumbing.

Schematics. Scary.

 


Building the big things on the boat (closets, pantries, etc...) is now done, now on to plumbing. Plumbing is something that seems so out of my realm of comprehension. Electrical is kind of scary too, but somewhere in my mind I figure I could learn it without too, too much trouble if I had to (and I assume the time is coming when I will have to.) But plumbing seems so much more complicated, a stopped up toilet has succeeded to confound me many times where as Mark unplugs it the second he comes home, plumbing and I do not get along. So considering our boat doesn't have a stitch of any plumbing in it, that is a major project we need to learn to DIY. 
Mark has been busy learning from square one all about boat plumbing, thank goodness for YouTube and all the other boat bloggers out there who are a wealth if information, unfortunately for anyone else seeking information on how-to plumbing, this blog will not be very helpful.
Every night Mark updates me on what he's doing and what he's bought and the packages started coming in from amazon (pictured above) and the shower nozzle is the only thing I actually recognize.

Mark is on another four days off now and plumbing is the task at hand. I can be no help in this matter but my unshakable faith that my cyber searcher husband has learned everything he needs to, to complete the job at hand. 
Holding tanks, filters, crimping, pex fittings, pressure pumps, y valves, shower pumps, all works I kind of get the gist of what they are and do but I am so excited for the day we have running water on the boat.

Of course we are still having to deal with my fresh water tank blunder I made months ago when we did our major buying for boat supplies. Somehow, and I still have no clue how I made such a measuring mistake, but I ended up ordering two 55 gallon rigid holding tanks, only to get them and have no where they will fit. We've tried the engine compartment  which was our original plan, no luck, then we figured there was room in either ama on each side and there is room, but the hatch to get them into the amas is too small, they are even too large for under the v berth. So we have spent $500 on holding tanks and can't use them. 
Of course we have no money now to buy new tanks. We have listed the other ones for sale and you would figure an island which has such a huge sailing community as Anacortes we could unload them quickly enough, except the one things we have discovered about Whidbey Island, they are the cheapest people I have ever met. No one will buy anything from anyone unless it's priced at 10% of what it's worth! It's infuriating really! Every year after Christmas we clean out the kids clothes and toys and rather than have a yard sale or try to sell anything online we just donate it, I'd rather give it away than sell it to some tightwad at a price that's not even worth the cost of gas to bring it into town to deliver it.

Anyway, so that's where we are at with that, in need of tanks and no money as of yet to buy them.
But Mark is busy getting everything else installed and lines all run so that when we do eventually get tanks all we'll need to do it hook them up.

Head sink with drain and faucet.

Galley faucets.

Doesn't it look beautiful with all that junk in there?

This was the hole Mark had to make of the faucet, the boat came with the sink but no faucets. I don't know how he made that.

The pump that will pressurize the fresh water system.

The city water inlet.

Our tankless water heater, this is located outside in the cockpit, the propane locker will be right next to it eventually.

Starting to run the lines through the bilges.


Meanwhile, down here in Florida...

Meet Mulan.

We are Siamese if you please.

Make a wish...

Grumpy.

Sneezy.

Dopey?

Nanny and Baba and Mac at Lunch.

Follow the White Rabbit... Wait, are we going down the rabbit hole or out of the Matrix?

Practically perfect in everyway.

Good on ya, mate.

Portrait done in France (Epcot)

Just a spoon full of sugar.

Mark back in Washington, all work and no play, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment