Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Making "Head"way.

Well I guess all it took to get some boat work done was get the kids and I out of the way. We have been gone a week and my busy little beaver back home had gotten more work done on Sweets then we have managed to do in the six months since we bought her. Mark has been working from the front to the back and is currently plugging away at the head. Now that the bilges have been painted and the floor reinforced it's time to start putting things together.
The flooring in this small space took six hours to install. A lot of cutting involved. It's just the vinyl peel and stick tiles, but it's cheap, water resistant, not too much of a pain when it needs to be replaced in a few years and gives us some decor variation. Our boat is a homemade special which never was completed with fancy finish work. Our bulkheads are literally marine plywood painted over, no lovely teak details for us. But we are okay with that, we don't need to be fancy as long as it all works. We of course will be painting the entire interior a fresh new white again but the little places like flooring and the tile backsplash around the wood stove and eventually new countertops in the galley, break up the monotonous white and give us a few personal touches.

Our lovely new composting head installed. Yes it covers the doorway a tad but pictures do not do justice to how small and awkward this space is, nor how large that toilet is, I'm amazed we got it to fit anywhere at all.



Next is the construction part of this project, not Marks strong suit and certainly not his favourite task to undertake, but he muddles through. It's proved to be difficult, me being so far away during all this, as much as it is a help him having all this time to work, I of course have my own ideas of how I want things to be on the boat and Mark and I always seem to be on different wave lengths when it comes to this. We can both look at the same space and see completely different things and I've not been able to get across my vision to him in a way he seems to understand, there is a disconnect somewhere. And being across the country and only having FaceTime on sketchy internet as a way to communicate it's even more difficult. Hence my drawing. Mark wanted me to draw it out for him, unfortunately I am no artist, so we'll see if the finished project resembles this in anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment